Green Shield Canada (GSC) celebrated their 60th anniversary of social responsibility and charitable giving in 2019, and to mark this historical event, they established the GSC Impact Fund. Through it, they donated a total of $6 million dollars to priority projects across six Canadian communities. The program was titled “Six 4 Six” to represent the following communities: Hamilton, ON, Windsor Essex, ON region, Calgary, AB and the Atlantic region.
The Community Foundation of Nova Scotia (CFNS) partnered with GSC to administer the program in Atlantic Canada where the initiative’s granting focused on oral and mental health.
2019 Grant Recipients
- Brigadoon Village - Camps BELIEVE and Kedooopse. Click here to see first hand the impact the funds have made to this program.
- Chebucto Connections - ECHO Program
- Home of the Guardian Angel - Chebucto Family Centre
- Dartmouth Family Centre - Food Centre peer support program
- The John Howard Society of Nova Scotia - Community Navigation Project
- Dalhousie University Office of Advancement - Community Oral Health Partnership
- Schizophrenia Society of Nova Scotia - Bright Smiles Project
Background on Mental Health Issues Facing Atlantic Canadians
In December 2018, representatives from the Hamilton Community Foundation, who are working as partners with Green Shield Canada, attended a workshop in Halifax to learn about the state of mental health in the region and hear the thoughts of local mental health leaders regarding issues and potential opportunities.
The identification and definition of four key issues/gaps facing organizations dealing with mental health issues were identified as a result.
The full report from this session can be found here: CFNS Mental Health Workshop